Institute for Social, Economic and Ecological Sustainability
University of Minnesota
186 McNeal Hall
1985 Buford Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55108
Phone: (612) 624-7723
FAX: (612) 625-8153
Contact: Anne R. Kapuscinski, PhD., Director
Social, environmental, and economic sustainability analysis
Challenge of Sustainability
The challenge of sustainability is to reconcile social and economic activities with the long-term health of the Earth's interconnected ecosystems.
- Generate a new transdisciplinary synthesis of concepts and methods for research on sustainability issues.
- Understand forces influencing sustainability at local, regional, and global scales.
- Develop and evaluate techniques for assessing conditions for sustainability.
- Generate policy options for moving communities toward sustainable conditions.
- Facilitate information exchange between scholars, practitioners, and citizens.
Participating Departments and Programs
- Agronomy & Plant Genetics
- Applied Economics
- Conservation Biology
- Ecology, Evolution and Behavior
- Fisheries & Wildlife
- Forest Resources
- Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs
- Human Resources & Industrial Relations
- Landscape Architecture
- Minnesota Institute for Sustainable Agriculture
- Political Science
- Water Resources
- Women's Studies
Technical Support Contact