Initiative for Renewable Energy and the Environment (IREE)
University of Minnesota
Cargill Building for Microbial and Plant Genomics
1500 Gortner Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55108
Contact: Dick Hemmingsen, IREE Director
To promote statewide economic development, sustainable, healthy, and diverse ecosystems, and national energy security through development of bio-based and other renewable resources and processes.
Goals and Objectives
- Provide leadership in research and development of environmentally sound production, distribution, and use of energy, chemicals, and materials from renewable resources;
- Create jobs by transferring technologies into practical outcomes for industry and communities;
- Support the goal of moving toward an economy based on hydrogen and other renewables;
- Utilize bio-based and other renewable sources as a substitute for fossil fuel-based energy, chemicals, and materials;
- Facilitate communication, coordination, and collaboration.
Clusters of Activity
Bioenergy & Bioproducts
Policy, Economics, & Ecosystems
Conservation & Efficient Energy Systems